Tuesday 3 December 2013

Favourite Off West End Theatres

Not wishing to retread an article I wrote for One Stop Arts explaining my favourite Off West End Theatres, I'd like to pose the question: Is the excellent Jermyn Street Theatre Off West End, West End or something in between? I could not make up my mind about this as I have seen and heard it described as both. All the productions I have seen there have been very good. So I did not include it in my survey. 

I would vote for The Print Room anyway as the most enterprising and consistently good Off West End venue, even if I was not bowled over by their recent offering Amygdala, performed in their cramped balcony space. But Arthur Miller's The Last Yankee and Harold Pinter's The Dumb Waiter, given in their main auditorium, were superb productions of two classics of twentieth century drama. Both plays revealed a topicality and societal relevance which perhaps the writers could not have foreseen. 

That The Print Room, like other Off West End venues such as the White Bear, Old Red Lion, Brockley Jack and Riverside Studios, is prepared to take risks with new work is commendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment