Tuesday 3 December 2013

Finding the Right Words...

Reviewing theatre as I do for One Stop Arts and What's Peen Seen, I have become more aware of how difficult it is to assess a performance, particularly of new work, which is technically brilliant, very well acted and directed but is essentially an unconvincing, predictable piece of writing.

I had this problem with Coward which premiered at Kennington's White Bear Theatre recently and, lately, with Amygdala at the Print Room's Balcony. Both plays were beautifully performed and directed, with great technical support. But, for me, their plots were predictable, with a lack of dramatic surprise. At the risk of seeming mean I decide to go with my honest response to how the play strikes me at first viewing.

Of course, even with this honesty of response, one can often be proved very wrong.  And if that it is the case, so be it and good luck to the writers!

No comments:

Post a Comment